Can I adopt?
Don't count yourself out, count yourself in
We need adopters who are able to value a child’s identity including their ethnic, religious and cultural background. Parenting a child into adulthood is one of life’s most rewarding experiences.
You may be able to adopt if you are:
- aged 21 or over, there is no upper age limit
- single, married, in a civil partnership or living together
- gay, lesbian, bisexual or heterosexual
- transgender or cisgender
- if you are already a parent
- homeowners or renting a property
- you (or your partner, if you’re a couple) have a fixed and permanent home in the UK
- able to be open and honest about your record in so that a decision can be made about your suitability
- Having a criminal record does not automatically mean you cannot adopt
Read about other things to consider before applying to adopt a child