Support for SGO carers during COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is a difficult time for all families. At Birmingham Children’s Trust we are working with carers in Birmingham who have a Special Guardianship Order (SGO) to offer them extra support through this difficult time.
If you are an SGO carer living in Birmingham, please contact us to see how we can help or just to talk through the challenges you are facing.
We currently have family support workers working with us who are making telephone calls to SGO carers, that we have contact details for, to check how things are and to see if there is anything we can help with and to listen to their experiences of managing under lockdown.
Our team is always here to support SGO carers living in Birmingham.
- a duty advice line for general enquiries
- a support group for special guardians and connected persons foster carers. This is now running virtually.
- training for special guardians on a range of frequently requested topics
If you’d like to find out more about how we can support you, please contact us via email or telephone.
Additional support during COVID-19
We appreciate the challenges that many of our SGO carers are facing as a result of lockdown. Lots of SGO families are struggling with contact arrangements, supporting their children with education and much more during this pandemic.
If you are a SGO carer living in Birmingham, we can now offer you additional support via Grandparents Plus.
Grandparents Plus offers:
- priority access to their specialist kinship care advice service
- virtual support groups that meets regularly via WhatsApp, Facebook or Zoom video calls
- a kinship community of over 7,000 incredible kinship carers
- live regional Facebook advice surgeries and ask questions to help you in your caring role
- a telephone peer support service, so that you can talk to another kinship carer through who will listen to you and share their experiences
- digital skills courses to help you to access technology to connect with friends, family and other useful services
One to one support
In addition to the support above, we can also provide one to one support via Grandparents Plus.
One to one support will take place in up to three on hour sessions. To access the one to one support please contact the SGO team.
Telephone: 0121 303 2621
- Monday–Thursday: 9am–5pm
- Friday: 9am–4pm
Out of Hours Emergency Duty Service: 0121 675 4806