Adoption process: stage one
Stage one (two months) includes
- check of local authority social care records where you live or have lived
- disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks (criminal records searches)
- health assessment from your GP
- written references from family and friends (up to four references are needed), but we will also want to talk to them face to face during stage
- If you've lived abroad for a continuous period of more than three months in the last ten years, you’ll need to apply to that country for a ‘certificate of good conduct'.
- during this stage we'll consider whether a vet assessment is needed for any animals (pets) you own. We’ll talk to you about this during the home visit.
- during stage one you are also required to attend our bespoke adoption preparation training.
Once the statutory checks are satisfactory completed and you have attended the preparation training, you’ll progress on to stage two of the adoption process, ‘the adoption assessment.’