Let us know if you’re looking after someone else’s child

What will happen when I contact Children’s Services?

Registration of the private fostering arrangement

A Social Worker will get in touch with the parents and the foster carer to give them advice and support.

They'll ask the carer to complete a form to register the care arrangement for the child. They'll talk to each member of the household to make sure that the arrangement is suitable for the child who is due to move in.

The Social Worker will work together with the carer, the child and their parents to ensure that the best possible arrangements are in place for the child. This includes:

  • listening to what the child wants
  • providing advice on benefits and other community or local services
  • helping to ensure that the child’s cultural needs are being met

Home visits

  • The Social Worker will visit the child and their carer(s) every six weeks in the first year of the arrangement.
  • These visits are to make sure the arrangement continues to go well and to offer advice and support.
  • The frequency of home visits may change to every 12 weeks in the following years.

Contact us

Email: SGOandPrivateFosteringSupportTeam@birminghamchildrenstrust.co.uk

Telephone: 0121 303 2621

  • Monday–Thursday: 9am–5pm
  • Friday: 9am–4pm

Emergency out-of-hours

Telephone: 0121 675