FGM - Female Genital Mutilation
FGM signs, how to report, plus national and local support
Female Genital Mutilation
Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a collective term for procedures which include the partial or total removal of the external female genital organs, or injury to the female genital organs, for cultural or other non-therapeutic reasons. It’s also known as 'female circumcision' or 'cutting’ but has many other names.
Signs to look out for:
- A relative or someone known as a 'cutter' visiting from abroad.
- The family are making plans to go on holiday during the summer/have requested extended leave from school.
- The child talks about a forthcoming special celebration.
- The child / woman may have difficulty walking or sitting.
- A female relative e.g., a mother or sister, has had FGM.
Learn more about signs FGM might happen, or it might have taken place, on the NSPCC website.
How to report FGM
- If you're worried a child is at risk of or has already had FGM, call NSPCC’s dedicated FGM helpline on 0800 028 3550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
FORWARD (Foundation for Women's Health, Research and Development
- 020 8960 4000 (Extension 1) or mobile 07834 168141
- Email: email@example.com
- FORWARD website link
- 0800 5999 247
- Karma Nirvana website link
- 01642 683 045
- Halo Project website link
Support in Birmingham
Click on the titles to go to the organisation's website.
- 0808 800 0028
- Text Service: 18001 0808 800 0028 (for deaf people/people with a hearing impairment)
- Face to face counselling services available to Birmingham based clients only.
- 0800 999 5786 or 0303 999 5786
Venue: City Hospital Maternity Department (for pregnant women), Dudley Road, Birmingham, B18 7QH
- 07989 209483
- Opening times: Every Thursday
Venue: Summerfield Health Centre, 134 Heath St, Birmingham B18 7AL
- 07989 209483
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue: University Hospitals Birmingham Well Women's Clinic, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, B9 5SS
- 07817 534 274 or 0121 424 3909
FGM clinic for pregnant women
Venue: Birmingham Women's Hospital, Mindelsohn Way, Birmingham, B15 2TG
- Referrals and enquiries to: email@example.com
- Mobile: 07831157651
- Tel: 0121 335 8222 - Ext: 5756