Find out about working in our Family and Friends assessment team
Why choose our Family and Friends assessment team as the next chapter in your social work career?
Birmingham Children's Trust Family and Friends assessment team
Our specialist Family and Friends service provides and supports all statutory arrangements where children and young people are cared for by a relative or friend, where their own parents are not able to.
We have a dedicated, passionate social work team, led by senior leaders who are experienced in providing an assessment service that supports, advises and guides all prospective carers. This strengthens our Trust commitment to the importance of children remaining with their families throughout their childhood and we help them achieve the most positive outcomes.
Jenny Turnross the Trust’s Director of Practice says: "We believe that children and young people should be supported to live within their extended families and wider networks if they are unable to live with their birth parents. We know that children thrive by being cared for by people who they know. We are excited and proud to be investing in a more enhanced support offer to the friends and families who offer homes to our children in care. This investment fully supports the Trust values."
The service delivers a robust, fast paced, thorough assessment service, encompassing viability, form C – connected persons and SGO reports.
Any of the roles available would ideally suit a skilled children services practitioner who is experienced in court ready assessments, whilst enjoying working directly with children, young people and their families.
Assistant Head of Service, Kim Smith has been with the Trust since 2015. Kim highlights why she chose this sector to develop her social work career: "Our service builds lifelong relationships with families, so all children and young people remain with relatives and maintain a strong family network through childhood and beyond into adulthood that positively impacts upon them." Adding: "The role allowed me a perfect career development opportunity to become a specialist in permanence case management, whilst maintaining safeguarding and court skills."
What our families have said about our service
Service feedback from a family regarding one of our Family and Friends assessors, Julie: "We would both like to add compliments to Julie, she has been a pleasure work with and has made us feel very supported during this process. Thank you."
Trust social worker Danielle recalls feedback from prospective special guardianship (SGO) carers.
Danielle states: "Carers offered verbal feedback around my ability to discuss sensitive and personal matters. They thanked me for my professionalism and ability to draw out new allegations that they were unaware of. They acknowledged that I was able to create a safe and comfortable environment for their daughter to open up to me. They described me as being 'sensitive, a good listener, inquisitive and thorough', adding that previous assessments from other local authorities were not as detailed or in-depth within their assessment questioning."
Our offer and commitment to you
- We are striving continually for improved outcomes for our children and young people.
- We have an exceptional Leadership and Executive team, who are at the centre of all social work practice.
- We are listening to our communities and our workforce, and we are implementing new delivery models, with partnership working strengthening our offer.
Check out our amazing rewards scheme for our permanent opportunities within the Trust including:
- Lowest caseloads regionally.
- Mental health / emotional support.
- Hybrid model of flexible working to suit your work/life balance
- Compressed hours / Nine day fortnight options.
- £3,000 incentive payment on joining us if you have up to three years practice experience.
- Up to £8,000 relocation payment (Terms & Conditions apply).
- Reimbursement of your Social Work England (SWE) registration fees.
- 29 days holiday, plus bank holidays.
Our current vacancies
Click on the job title below to take you to details and the online application for each vacancy. The closing dates for all roles is Tuesday 1 June 2021.
Please feel free to email or phone any of our team to understand more about the service:
- Alison O’Connor, Head of Service
- Alison.O'Connor@birminghamchildrenstrust.co.uk - 07912 470757
- Kim Smith, Assistant Head of Service
- email@example.com - 07885 235369
- Danielle Grandison, Social Work peer (any informal role queries)
- Danielle.Grandison@birminghamchildrenstrust.co.uk - 07892 786400